"Hi there and thanks a lot for visiting my blog. DFTBA!"

7/04/2012

Legend by Marie Lu

title: Legend
written by: Marie Lu
series: Legend #1
genres: Young Adult, dystopian
page count: 305
publication date: November 29th, 2011
published by: Putnam Juvenile


What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.


From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

"I'd once been fascinated by his legend - all the stories I'd heard before I met him"

I am in love with this book! Seriously, why haven't I read it earlier. It's a perfect mixture of romance, suspense and mystery, set in the future. How can anyone not like that?! And isn't that cover gorgeous?

Set in the Republic, a dystiopian version of the western US, we meet June and Day. They were born in different families, and raised in different ways, as different as possible! June was the Republic's soldier, one of the smartest of them all. And Day was a rebel, always fighting for his families' lives and health. Day hides his true identity, and he has some good reasons for that. His own mother doesn't even know that he is alive. That's how the book starts: "My mother thinks I'm dead". This really sucked me into the story, and I couldn't put it down. I was even reading while having dinner. Isn't that crazy? (well, to me it isn't...)

The plot of this book was full of suspense, and interesting at all times. I wanted to know about Day and June, and what they had to do with each other. And I wanted to find out what really happened. The most interesting thing about this book was the Plague. Plagues always make me interested in books, and this plague was so horrible and terrifying I just wanted to read it more and more and more! Also, the book was dystopia, and I'm a total sucker for that genre. This book is actually worthy to be called dystopia. Some 'dystopian' books out there just aren't worth that title. 

Day and June both were amazing characters. They were both extremely complicated, and their lives had been a mess. Then they meet, and BOOM! But they don't know who the other one is. Then June finds out that Day is the boy that killed her brother. The way Lu wrote that extremely emotional part is just amazing. It really made me think, how would I react if some guy I kind of liked supposedly killed my sister (since I don't have a brother). 

This story is told in 2 POV's. June's and Day's. That definitely added something to the book. Following to characters that were so different, yet so alike. Their ways of reacting to things that happen to them are so alike, although their lives are so distinct. I honestly have no idea if I'd have liked this book if it was written from only 1 POV. 

Just a quote I wanted to share with you guys. It really shows what I love about this book and the amazing way it's written: 
"Each day means a new twenty four hours. Each day mmeans everything's possible again. You live in the moment, you die in the moment, you take it all one day at a time."

Prodigy, the next installment in this series, definitely is worth the wait. I just want to know what happens to all characters, including Day, June, Kaede and Tess. I honestly have no idea if Prodigy can be as good as Legend, but I will pray for it to be just as awesome. All pray to the lord of awesomeness *bows*

my conclusion: 5/5 stars!
A book every sucker for YA dystopia will love, a must-read for 'the Hunger Games', 'Divergent' and 'Chaos Walking' fans that are looking for new books and above all a great novel all audiences will love.

Love,
Mar







No comments: