"Hi there and thanks a lot for visiting my blog. DFTBA!"

8/24/2012

Review: The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness

title: The Ask and the Answer
written by: Patrick Ness
series: Chaos Walking #2
genres: Young Adult, Dystopian
page count: 519
publication date: May 4th, 2009
rating: 5/5 stars

We were in the square, in the square where I'd run, holding her, carrying her, telling her to stay alive, stay alive till we got safe, till we got to Haven so I could save her - But there weren't no safety, no safety at all, there was just him and his men...

Fleeing before a relentless army, Todd has carried a desperately wounded Viola right into the hands of their worst enemy, Mayor Prentiss. Immediately separated from Viola and imprisoned, Todd is forced to learn the ways of the Mayor's new order. But what secrets are hiding just outside of town? And where is Viola? Is she even still alive? And who are the mysterious Answer? And then, one day, the bombs begin to explode...

I already reviewed part 1 of Chaos Walking last year. A link to the review [HERE]. Don't read this review if you haven't read the first book in the series, or it will all be spoiled!

 The Ask and the Answer was in one word: SURPRISE! Seriously, so many plot turns in one novel is epic! (Although it also was quite confusing at some points...) The story continues with Todd and Viola, seperated, in New Prentisstown. It is like hell there, or at least it is like that for Todd, who is locked up inside a church tower.  He has got to work together with his biggest enemy and has to let the 'spackle' do horrible things. Numb by his inside emotional pain he abides.

First of all I must say I really missed Manchee. I really came to love that dog, and when he died in part one my heart was broken! The other characters changed so much between book 1 and 2 I was unable to believe it at the first. Viola has become all Katniss-like kick-ass, while Todd has become an emotional wreck, numb from the inside. Some parts from Todd's point of View literally broke my heart, just because they were so depressing. Paper towels are needed while reading this! Also, Davy really impressed me while reading this book. I was really confused when I was halfway through the book. I had come to like him, even though he was kind of evil... Why do I always like the evil guys?!

The plot of this novel was full of suspense. I can describe it as The Hunger Games' Mockingjay from both Katniss' and Peeta's point of view. It pretty much describes the first part. Only I liked this book better than Mockingjay! Some parts of it just blew my mind, and I had to read them multiple times just to believe them.

I adore the way Ness describes everything that happens around his characters, I am in love with the way the parts from Todd's Point of View are written, with grammar errors that were meant to be there (infection-infectshun etc.), and I really like it how of  the 519 pages of this novel 0 bored me!

An amazing sequel full of suspense for anyone who likes dystopia and doesn't mind a big book, whatever age or gender you are! Please keep in mind that there are extremely touching moments, paper towels needed!

Love and books,
Mar

No comments: